Jul 13, 2010

7 Days In, Or “The Week I Went Fabric Crazy”

I’ve had Viggo for 7 days now. I’ve sewn at list a little each of those days. So far so good. I’ve only had one FAIL so bad that I have to start completely over. For a novice that’s pretty good, right? So what if all my other projects have been simple straight-lines-only-type projects? I’m still pleased with myself. I’ve really only been sewing for a little bit each day {thank goodness for nap time, eh?} but little bits of time here and there really accomplish a lot in a weeks time.
I’ve finished MiniDork’s bean bags and she L.O.V.E.S. them. Hopefully they’ll be just as popular with the nieces and nephew for whom I’m making a set. I’m half-done with their bean bags, but would like to also make a simple drawstring bag to put the bean bags in. I’m also going to be making more heat packs, but this time I’ll be putting nice “smelly-stuff” in them, like cinnamon and cloves {thank you BethanyBob for the suggetion!}.
Sooooo…I may or may not have gone a little fabric crazy in the past week. Between the profits from the sale of my two broken sewing machines, and some money I won, and my allowance I got a little “supply-happy.” Here’s what I got:
  • Some super-cute flannel for $3.95 p/yard to make more bean bags, rice heat packs, and other projects I’m planning.
  • A deep cut assembly for my Cricut so I can cut fabric for appliqué {something I’ve been dying to do for years}. Usually the assembly costs $50+ but I found it on Amazon for <$12!!!
  • Some fabric on Etsy {see pictures below}.
  • Some fabric from Fabric.com {see pictures below} for making my very first quilt ever {a Christmas quilt}! I heart Christmas so freakin’ much {which is probably why I proceeded to get more Christmas fabric on Etsy.
  • A free-motion foot for Viggo so I can do free motion machine quilting.
  • Some silk-screening fabric paint for some projects I have in mind.
  • Two hot pink towels to make MiniDork a bath robe.
  • A bias tape maker thingy {“thingy” is the technical term}.
Other then some thread and such I think that’s it. And maybe with the exception of some elastic thread I’m putting myself on a fabric/notions buying moratorium until I get further down my projects list. Anyhow, here are some pictures of some of the goodies I got {click on the images to be taken to the site from which items were purchased}:
deepcut quiltingfootMillerXmas  amybutlercranesxmas1 xmas2 xmas3 xmas4 xmas5 xmas6 xmas7 xmas8 xmas9 xmas10  
So that’s all for now. Hopefully I’ll have some more tutorials for you this week. :)
sigsew

6 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY {heart} my bias tape maker! Somehow bias tape seemingly ends up on EVERYTHING!

    Good luck with all your great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have debated buying a bias tape maker. Where did you find yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new blog! And your fabrics are fantastic! I have a bit of a fabric adiction myself. And there is never enough time to sew all I want :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't go to naturesfabrics.com, totally ruin you. I made a bamboo velour pillowcase for myself so I can a product tester. Nice of me to make the huge sacrifice. Now I sleep on a soft,velvety pillow.

    I like the rice bag idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's my "oooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!" about your fabric purchase. Seeing it gives the wants for cotton fabrics. I already have enough for more than a lifetime that I tucked into the garage since I'm back to apparel sewing. You can never start your stash for the contest to soon :~)

    ReplyDelete

Comments please!