Jul 10, 2010

Super Easy Rice Heat Pack

ricepack
I used to have two microwavable rice packs {great for cramps!} but then we didn’t have a microwave for a while so I tossed ‘em. But now we do have a microwave, and I happened to have some pretty blue flannel damask. So I whipped this up. It’s a really, really easy project as in, so-easy-it’s-probably-an-insult-to-your-intelligence-that-I’m-giving-you-instructions. Nevertheless, here they are!
You need:
  • a small amount of flannel
  • rice
  • the usual {thread, sewing machine}
Step 1: Cut two rectangles of flannel {I find that 9 inches by 6 inches is a good size}.
rice heat pack sew tutorial Step 2: Sew the rectangles together with the right sides of the fabric facing each other. Don’t sew all the way around. Leave a small opening. Snip the corners then turn the pouch you’ve created right-side out.
rice heat pack sew tutorial
Step 3: Use a funnel to fill with dry rice {I used 2 cups}.
Step 4: Sew all around the edges, starting at the opening {fold the opening edges in first}. You can use a contrasting thread color {I used white} or a matching color. This is probably the hardest step simply because you’ve got to move the rice out of the way as you go.
rice heat pack sew tutorial
Voila. Just nuke that sucker for 1-3 minutes on high and you’re all set to go!
sigsew

3 comments:

  1. My commercially-made heat pack smells nice and spicy, but I have no idea what's in it. Have you thought of any other ingredients to add to your heat packs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people add cinnamon stick pieces and/or spices to their heat packs and hot pads.

    I LOVE homemeade heat packs. They are so much nicer than the store bought ones.

    ReplyDelete

Comments please!